Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hijacking Symbols


While at the artisans' market in Otavalo, I got this necklace:


I put it on right away and wore it when we were in Gualsaqui, a rural village near Otavalo where we visited the Quechua people. To be honest, I bought it just because I thought it was kinda pretty. After wearing it for a few days, I love the way the little disk feels. It fits perfectly between my thumb and forefinger, and I've been rubbing it like a little worry stone. I wondered what the symbol was, so I did a little Googling after I got home.

Turns out Quechua was a language of the Inca Empire. And in the Inca's religion, the god of the sun is called Inti (or Apu-punchau). He is usually represented in human form, his face portrayed as a disk with rays and flames radiating out.


Inti was considered to be an all-powerful, benevolent god who was capable of great generosity. 

Hmmm. God. Appears in human form. All-powerful. Benevolent. Sound familiar? Yeah.

I'm embracing this as a reminder that our God is universal. No matter what language we use, God reaches out to each of us across the great unknown in a countless array of shapes and sizes. I pray this little talisman will be a reminder to me that, just like the sun, God is always present. Even on my darkest day when I can't see or feel him, he is there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment